Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Cockatoo Forums » Diet » Good Treats!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Treats!
louie bird

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louie bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name is Erika, I've just adopten Louie. He's a Goffin. Presently he is on pellets only. He seems to like his carbs (bread). But what other treats do they like. What should I try. What kind of fruit and veg do they typically like?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2beebop
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2beebop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets see...I feed

nutriberries, harrisons pellets, volkman avian super science saflower seed mix, volkman goodies and nuts, volkman just fruit, Almonds, walnuts, hot peppers, scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, carrots, veggie pasta, penut butter sandwich {bird size}apples bannanas, what ever we are having for dinner

make sure you read over the list of toxic foods for parrots!

Is this your first bird?

Posts: 648 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louie bird

Icon 7 posted      Profile for louie bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, can't you tell? I'm a big ROOKIE!! Reading as much as I can and asking as much as I can. Louie's previous parents said he didn't like fruit or veg. What kinds of foods are toxic?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2beebop
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2beebop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL..yes I can tell. I think you are fabulous! Already here, asking tons of questions and ready to take responsibility for that beautiful bird!! FANTASTIC.

you can use the search feature above and type in toxic foods...or you can google toxic foods for parrots. I believe birds n ways has a list. You will need to make you a favorites folder for your important searches. There are toxic foods to learn, toxic metals to learn toxic woods to learn. You will need to learn an entire new way to live..no perfume, no scented candles, no teflon pans, no carpet fresh or febreeze. Its going to sound so horribley overwhelming at first but soon it will become second nature and everything will come natural!! We are all here to help you become the best birdy mama you can be!

Posts: 648 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bird Mom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bird Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
louie bird , You can do a food search using the link on the upper right of this page. The people that had Brewster said he would NEVER eat fruits or vegetables. He was on a seed, french fry, pizza diet. Now, besides a few assorted brands of pellets, he'll eat most any vegetable, fruits, cereals, pasta, grains we eat. We usually buy organic & whole grain stuff. Since we don't eat meat I'm not sure if he would either, although we do eat eggs (he LOVES when my husband cooks veggie omlets!).
Posts: 722 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louie bird

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louie bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Thank you for your suggestions. How long did it take for him to want to eat fruit and veg. Louie looks at the stuff and runs!
Bird Mom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bird Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try mixing new things into foods he likes....oatmeal & peanut butter are the ones Brewster likes the most. But, just like a young child, some days he likes certain foods & other days he won't touch them. If you can get the bird to "taste" anything new, that's progress! More than a taste...even better [Big Grin] Eating is a social thing. Birds eat better when you are eating at the same time. You take a bite & show him how "yummy" it is and see if that generates interest!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubytoo
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rubytoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck getting Louie to eat his veggies.
If you have a juicer/food processor, you could try making juices of veg and fruit.
See if he will drink them?

I do think that "typically" many birds prefer sweet fruits over veggies. And it's the veg that is better and more important.
I found one of the first greens that our birds really liked were silver beet leaves, a "sweeter" tasting leaf.

Sorry, no way around it you have to have patience and persevere. I hate chewing raw broccoli, been doing it for 18 years....Don't let them break you.

[laughing] Good luck

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elliott
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elliott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to get them to try new foods is a battle, somewhat.

I find that if I give something new, I will eat some and make a big deal out of it, like how good it tastes... Also, to pique their interest in the new food, I won't give them any. After a while I'll be eating some next to their cage or stand and they will start begging to try it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Try offering only one or two pieces at a time. Offer cooked, steamed, raw, and see what they like. The only food I cook thoughly is sweet potato. Don't feed it raw. The way I prep it is to cut slices about a 1/2 inch thick and then cut it into sticks about 1/2 wide. I will microwave it for 2 minutes and like it cool completely before serving. Usually it's still a little warm when I give it.

This is waht they had for breakfast this morning...
1/4 of a granny smith apple
1/4 of a carrot (cooked lightly)
1" slice of corn cut in quarters (lightly cooked)
4 sticks of sweet potato (thoughly cooked)
Chopped kale
thawed and warmed frozen mixed veggies.
2-3 TBS Harrison's pellets

Tonight's menu...
1/4 cup assorted seeds
6 peanuts
3 shelled macadaima nuts and three in-shell
3 pecan halves
3 almonds
3 blanched cashews
and maybe some of my dinner, whatever that may be.

This

Posts: 835 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BE2Cassie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BE2Cassie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome. Youve come to the right place for info. And what a great start you've begun. When Cassie was young I had a difficult time getting her to eat veggies for me. I would cut them up and put on stainless steel skewers and attach to the side of her cage. I would also weave her greens to the side or tie them. First she began just ripping them up now she eats everything except for most fruit. I also would mix corn into her bean and veggie mix in the morning to get her interested. I've learned overtime that she hates anything mushy or too soft. So I don't cook anything for very long and most veggies I give to her raw. One of her favorite is spaghetti squash sliced and put on the skewer. Seeds and all. Good luck Nancy
Posts: 1093 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos