Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Cockatoo Forums » Behavior & Behavior Problems » Mating out of Control!!!!!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mating out of Control!!!!!!!!
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Searched and searched, then started over..running low on energy!! Daisy has been with us only a short while and she has been great the entire time(except with the hubby)but she has one thing that has slightly worried me from day one and as each day goes by that thing turns into more and more of the only thing she does!I am talking the "M" word..first it was on my hand only. I stopped letting her on my hand when she was attempting-and she seemed to give up after a few tries each day. Now it is with everyone she(maybe He?) comes into contact with. Brought her to work and she made the rounds with everyone, each time I removed her from their hand and she was given no attention for a while, then I would try again- one of the girls at work not only had it on the hand, but also the knee and thigh and after I removed Daisy from her and she was walking away, Daisy flew to her shoulder and started AGAIN!! She did this with the vet, and now the moment I say step up to let her out of the cage she immediately begins. But it is starting to change a bit-last night she was standing on my stomach and seemed to be doing the same behavior-puffed feathers, squatting down and carefully trying to find the perfect angle and finish with a tail flurry..the only difference was that last night she seemed to be straining quite a bit or concentrating and is now spending lots of time on the floor of her cage walking around, even outside of the cage today she finds the nearest corner, gets close to it and begins ranting non-stop(not loudly at all, just normal voice tone)but she isn't really saying real words, even though she has an exceptional vocabulary. Is not more aggressive towards anyone, not biting [Big Grin] until I just typed that...time out..I don't want to leave her in the cage for longer times, I just don't want to encourage this behavior and quite frankly I believe this to be all mating season behavior, but now feel like I have no idea. [Confused] What balance do you find at this time-I don't want her to be left in her cage because of this, so what other ways can I curb this behavior without breaking our trust/bond???? [Frown] I don't like seeing her in there right next to me..
Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belongs2Sammy
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belongs2Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say that I don't have a lot of advice to offer on this, other than limiting physical contact or anything that could turn her on like scritches in her sweet spots, under the wings, belly, etc. Sammy's sweet spot is his feet (which I discovered recently while applying cream to the wounds on his feet he's been picking on). I don't get near the same reaction you do, but maybe it's her feet that's her sweet spot. I really don't know what you could do about that other than having her perch on a dowel instead of your hand until this phase blows over. Sorry I can't really be of much more help [Confused]

(also shamelessly bumping your post)

Posts: 599 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ebbony & Captain's Mom 2005
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebbony & Captain's Mom 2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HER not him [Wink]

SHE is trying to lay an egg. [Roll Eyes]

no help beyond reducing the cuddling,-

[Frown] you could try getting her a stuffed toy 'freind' but it won't take long for her to decide 'he' just isn't helping. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 363 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info- belongs2sammy, not sure what you meant by shamelessly bumping your post [Confused] sorry, but new again... I do avoid those "areas" hers is mainly under the wings and the place just above her tail feathers. Only head scrtiches...we have had some "cold" showers..LOL-no luck May try the animal friend in her cage, but am afraid she may consume some of the material stuffing, should I take it out at night? Actually it may not last too long, she is throwing all her toys at me [Frown] I don't have anything in her cage that can be used as nesting material, so what are the chances she will lay an egg?? Probably an unanswerable question, along with how long before something may or may not happen, and the all clear till next year?? I just hate hearing her call me to come out when I know what she wants, I'm trying to find other things to do-showers, puzzles, destroy my paperwork and going for rides in the car..but i guess if the clock is ticking...it's louder than a sunflower seed treat [laughing]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2paulie
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2paulie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would say distraction tactics would be your only hope. Maybe a special thing to play with or something she absolutely loves to eat or destroy will help to distract her from her urge. I know it must be very stressful for both of you. Paulie is only about three years old, so I haven't dealt with the mating behaviors yet, but please let us know if you find any answers.
Posts: 774 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belongs2Sammy
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belongs2Sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping posts - means to put your post at the top of the forum by adding a reply. Your post at the time kinda got lost so I "bumped" it up because I was really interested in seeing the responses. I'm shameless, I know...

Any how getting back on topic, I had forgotten about distractions. Like M2P said, I think that's your best bet for now... just make sure that you don't inadvertently reward the behavior with a treat! Instead, a foot toy, block of wood, paper bag w/ doo-dads in it, etc, singing, dancing... anything but a food treat.

I really am reaching here, sorry I can't be much more help :\ Have you asked your vet for suggestions?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Sorry, don't think you knew what I meant by the "louder than a sunflower seed treat" comment. I am not giving her treats(seeds) to distract..I meant that not EVEN a sunflower seed, oh that glorious-light shining down from heaven on it, will detter her mission right now!! Literally, bag o' sunflower seeds vs. her mating with me- the winner is ME!!! Nothing is distracting her..Have to give her one thing though, that sure is some determination!!Just like prom night!! Got her a stuffed little friend, scares the hell out of her [Frown] so still trying...
Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bit off subject, but i found a neat hand toy for my U2.
Cactus wood.
Since you have a smaller bird I think, you could chop it in two or quarters, but there must be something about it, drives my bird nuts and he is EASILY distracted by it. Love IS in the air. He is going nuts too. Funny thing is, temperature was down to ice on the ground again today, But the house still says spring I guess. I had to agree with my wife that we wont pet under his wings or sweet spots. I fear going through what you are although, not likely as HE wont go through an egg laying phase. [Big Grin]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since hand toys came up, I found a neat hand toy for my U2. I read someone suggest a hand toy distraction and thought it may help.
Cactus wood. I found it is cheap in the pet shop. Like 2 bucks for 3-4 of them. They sell them for hamsters or guineua pigs. But I saw it on a hanging toy and bought some. He keeps busy each day with it.
Since you have a smaller bird I think, you could chop it in two or quarters, but there must be something about it, drives my bird nuts and he is EASILY distracted by it. [Roll Eyes]
Love IS in the air. He is going nuts too. Funny thing is, temperature was down to ice on the ground again today, But the house still says "spring" I guess. I had to agree with my wife that we won't pet under his wings or sweet spots. I hear all these nightmare stories about this time of year. So I am hoping for an easy time this first year. [Big Grin]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katy girl
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katy girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daisy, Go to amazon.com and buy the book ( The Parrot That Owns Me). It is the best book I have ever read on Parrot behavior. Also get the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Those two book tell you more about parrots than any of the dozen books that I have bought. Also they are good reading. I couldn't put either of them down.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flowerchild
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowerchild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome to my world, daisydair. my amazon is the same way during breeding season. hold me, pet me! to the exclusion of anything else. she would scream for hours if i don't take her out and pet her. i try to limit it to her head, but she'll fall off the perch leaning forward to get me to stroke her back. i give her a couple of minutes of cuddles, kisses, and back to the perch or cage. she is currently chewing up a box. it keeps her happy, and as they are cardboard only, they only last a couple of days. that way she doesn't get a chance to settle in to lay any eggs. i know we should try to discourage this behavior, but there isn't much i can do except try to keep her busy. and none of that will work until she's had her bonding ritual with me. sometimes she's so frustrated she'll even let my son pet her! normally this would be unthinkable, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. [laughing]
though written about an amazon- the parrot who owns me is great reading for all owned by parrots, and especially for those who think they want to be!

Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tips about the books..went to the bookstore to look through them when she first came home, there were so many-with so many much contradicting info that I just gave up and walked out(bookless). So good to hear a few book reviews that are useful!! I have found one thing that will change her mind for a bit..I found a website that has music downloads(actually it's free) I think everyone can agree that toos love music and singing and dancing ranks with u know what!!! Her favorite song-Rockin Robin-it has a great beat that she can whistle very easy, it's also repeatitive so she has gotten some of the lyrics down...SO now I can let her out-even put her on my leg, turn up the music and instant change of behavior!!She is trying to learn to put it on herself--It's great, but my new dilemma is to not throw the computer out of the window for listening to that song for 6 hours straight!! I thought watching finding nemo with my neice 3 times a day was bad!!!HA! I got child rearing in the bag(don't have any yet).
flowerchild
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowerchild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great solution! now you just have to expand her musical tastes.
Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffH
Advanced Member

Icon 5 posted      Profile for JeffH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious ..... [Confused]
Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffH
Advanced Member

Icon 5 posted      Profile for JeffH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"you could try getting her a stuffed toy 'freind' but it won't take long for her to decide 'he' just isn't helping"

Is that really a good idea? I saw a YouTube video of a budgie doing the wild thing with a toy bird almost his size. He rubbed his tail all underneath it while pecking at its face, untl he finally "finished" his business. [Razz]

It's amusing that birds can pleasure themselves with toy dolls just like some humans also do. But the quesion here is ... [Confused]

Is that really healthy for the bird? And what might it do to the bird's behavior or expectations? If your bird gets "horny", should you really give it its own "sex toy"?

Posts: 83 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2beebop
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2beebop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH GOODNESS...My goffins is aweful with this very same thing. I mean AWEFUL. The first time she did it was ON ME and I thought she was having seizures and I hysterically called her foster mama...who I adopted her from. Needless to say I got big laughs. My goffins does this more times a day than I care to admit on ANYTHING she cxan back up to including her dishes

EDIT TO ADD:
She is also extremley vocal about it {please dont laugh} and she shares the same bird room with my two greys!! They picked up on that sound RIGHT AWAY. Needless to say...a few times a day, it sounds...well its just to darn loud in there for company {putting door on shopping list}

I would really like to know how to get her to calm down some if its possible.

Posts: 648 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Birdiemommy
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birdiemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what worked for me with a macaw. Birds mate in the spring (or spring in the hemisphere where they come from) for the most part. Make it seem like winter is coming. How? Make their days shorter. In my case since my birds were in a room, I closed the shades on their windows and the blinds on the outside of their room to make it get dark at about 6 PM. I didn't let it get light until 8 or 9. It took about 2 to 3 weeks for this to work, but the mating behaviors slowed way down and then stopped. Instinctively, the bird's body thought winter was coming. Or something like that.

The worst was the first year. After that it was much less in the following years, but making the days shorter always seemed to stem the behavior.

Hope this works for you.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2beebop
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2beebop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so black out blinds for all the windows in my bird room??? Ive been thinking about getting them anyways. Thank you...I will definatley try that.
Posts: 648 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bev

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, back to this post. I am currently deaf...high pitched screaming in my ear with wings out and M2, Poncho trying to get me to be humpie toy. Now, I know that is not good...and I have supplied, sorry guys, a sex toy..stuffed colorful fish in Poncho's house. He makes use of his toy pretty much daily! We also have lights out at 8pm and on again at 8am. He has chew toys galore...great food, fresh water..everything but another too and I'm just not sure if I'm up for that. (Meaning no way...not yet.)

He tries to make a nest on the couch, in his house, everywhere and does his best to get eye contact with me...like ok now..here it is, let's go.

Can you tell if it's a male or female? I'm confused by the earlier post. Is Poncho a she? Is there anything else that I can do??? What have you all tried...anything, nothing..just live with it and it will stop sooner or later?

Love my Poncho Woncho, but like I said..deaf today in left ear.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RB2sMom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RB2sMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 RB2s and neither the male (4) nor female (9) has exhibited this behavior. However, Harry was very aggressive earlier in the year and attacked my husband and me with beak wide open while Hannah tried to nest in the kitchen cabinets and dishwasher. Distraction might help. Harry was plucking and besides giving him "Pluck No More" we got him some large wooden chew toys that have kept him very busy. Distractions might help your case.
Posts: 394 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie Riley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie Riley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the post that mentioned "The Parrot That Owns Me" book. I was quite shocked when I read that book and got to the part where the author discussed allowing her bird to "mate" with her hand. It seemed taking scientific curiosity a bit too far. She seemed to really get into being a mate substitute for her bird and, personally, I don't think that's such a great idea. It sure seemed to have major negative consequences for her poor husband!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovey's Mom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lovey's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, I agree with your comments about the book, The Parrot Who Owns Me. But, that aside, I learned a lot about my birds and loved the story.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NickRummy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickRummy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm starting to deal with this with Dino also. I've been reading up on what to do. The other night while laying and watching TV he started rubbing on my hand. My fiance thought it was a bit comical and I thought it was a bit disturbing. I moved him around so that he he couldn't easily do what he was doing which seemed to work but he insisted on trying to come over by by my head and cuddle under my chin. That was enough for me... I set him on his cage and continued to watch TV. This seemed to do the trick but I'm curious to see what he does in the near future....
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffH
Advanced Member

Icon 9 posted      Profile for JeffH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, seeing as how any parrot can get "horny" at times, I almost think it's right to make sure it has an opposite-gender partner. I cringe at the bird being alone all day while I'm at work, and toys NEVER offer any emotional reaction to its feelings or needs. I'd want to believe it would be happier with a mate. [Frown]

But then again, I've seen SO many stories about a hen getting attacked so badly by her "assigned partner". One Macaw even had to have "stump feet" surgically placed to her legs because the rooster chewed both her feet off! [Eek!] I'd be CRUSHED if I came home and found my hen chewed to death because my rooster "felt it wouldn't work out"! [angry2]

Many BREEDER websites say that when both are in a cage, a door should be left open so the hen can escape, and the rooster should be harnessed so he can't chase after her. Of course, that's just the "unemotional, multiplying, for-profit attitude" of breeders.

What is the REAL answer to this problem? What is an acceptable, and safe, compromise for the lonely, sex-starved cockatoo who has more moral sense than a cockatiel does? [Confused]

Cassie's_girl
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cassie's_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The REAL answer: Let them live in the wild where they belong.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos