Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Cockatoo Forums » Behavior & Behavior Problems » "Pluck no More" - What's the story?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Pluck no More" - What's the story?
WendyKLS
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyKLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the real deal here with this stuff called "Pluck No More" - are people really having success with their feather pluckers - is it worth the money? One of my birds - a Hahn's Macaw, has been plucking for years and years - another bird, my Goffins - plucks on and off (seems hormonal - right now she's fully feathered but in the spring she was a mess) many vet visits but nothing has stopped the plucking on the Macaw. Really would like to hear about opinions on "Pluck No More". Thanks in advance.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elliott
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elliott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been using PNM now for 15 days and I am not seeing any new feathers yet. My Scarlet has been plucking for about 10 years, so I don't know. We'll wait and see.
Posts: 835 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louie's_Mom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louie's_Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you order, please read this thread I posted about the ingredients in Pluck No More. Then if you still feel it's OK, you will at least be informed.

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002052

Posts: 134 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyKLS
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyKLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Interesting Ingredients - looks like a lot of the things you find in herbal medications to help you sleep . . . for what it's worth - my vet seems to think that Ringo (my macaw) has a genetic predisposition to plucking - he is about 16 years old and although he has plucked for years he has never mutilated - so I guess I should be thankful for that - of all my birds - he is the one that reacts the most intensely to changes in the environment (moving a plant, a new chair - things like that) thanks for the ingredient list - I was wondering about that.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eefjuh
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eefjuh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think stuff like that wouldn't help.

Like with humans you have nailbiters, and stuff that makes the nails taste nasty, even thought they will keep biting their nails.

Look intough the animal. 80% of Pluckers have behavioural problems. (unshure of theirselves)

The rest could come by wrong feeding.

You say it happens in the springtime. In nature in the springtime there are a lot of diffirent fruits to provide the birds with the right vitamins. Provide the bird with a lot of different fruits..

Biting feathers also has to do with changing feathers.. Some bird do not change their feathers in the right amount of time, feathers stay in longer than they supposed to, they can itch and be ennoying, so the birds try to remove them by there selves...

Try to find out what cauzes the problem, and try to fix it in a natural way instead of collars or sprays.....

(i have heard stories that someone used it and it only became worse [Frown] )

Posts: 156 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ayres with a 2
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayres with a 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wendy...do a search for it...there was about 2 pages on the pros and cons and a lot of good results from people on here that were giving it a shot. I almost ordered it for our CAG, and noticed she had feathers coming in good again, so I'm playing the waiting game...Good luck!
Posts: 1011 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DreamerToo
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DreamerToo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, that I decided to give it a try on my Buster. He took the whole bottle. Now, I must also say, that he was diagnosed with Giardia when I got him and we thought maybe the plucking stemmed from that. We started him on Missing Link (vitamins) baths with Aloe, good wholesome foods, and lots of sunshine.

We have finished the bottle and he is really growing alot of feathers. Now, the questions is....was it the PNM or was it the healthy life style. Not sure. But he looks 50% better than he did after he finished his meds for the Giardia.

We have decided to continue on the path of healthy and not give him anymore PNM. We shall see.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos