Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Other Parrot Species » Cockatiels » Cockatiel and Parakeet caged together...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cockatiel and Parakeet caged together...
TLL & Sam
Advanced Member

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TLL & Sam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took in a cockatiel and a beautiful all white parakeet a little over a week ago. Their owner is very ill, and has been hospitalized, her only concern was finding a home for her babies..
They are now in their new forever home... [Smile]
The problem is, when I picked them up, they were caged together..The previous owner said they have been in the same cage for almost a year, and that they are best friends.. [Roll Eyes]
I brought them home and noticed in the evening, after I covered them for the night there was alot of "bickering" going on. Not mean fighting, but stay away from me your making me mad sounds... [Mad] After the 3rd day I went and bought a new cage, the one they came in I thought was way too small for the Cockatiel, and I did not think they should be in the same cage together.
Their original cage which was 17wx13dx32h I kept the parakeet in, and the new one which is more than double this size is for the Cockatiel.
Well here we are 5 nights later, and I really think they want to be together...
The cockatiel makes little whimpering squeaky sounds, and the parakeet is doing the same thing. It goes on for about 1 1/2 hours before I break and move the cages together, closer, and it still does not stop them. In the morning when we let them out, they are both perched next to each other on the top perch of the new cage, as snug as a bug! Well tonight I gave in and put them in the new big cage together, and neither one made a peep!
What should I do? Is it OK to keep them together? I am so afraid 1 of them will get hurt, and I think it will be the Cockatiel! The parakeet seems to be more aggressive at the cockatiel than vice versa... [Confused]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jm47
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jm47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they've been together for over a year, and not harmed each other, and they are now quiet at night in a much bigger cage, maybe they LIKE each other.
I often argued with my sister, especially when we shared a bed (remember the Cosby monologue, "To my brother Russell, who I slept with"? Worse than that, really [Eek!] ) We never really harmed each other, although Daddy had to come warn us not to argue so loudly...and maybe that's "anthromorphism", but maybe birds share some feelings with us. IMO that's true. If not, then trying to "think like a bird" is pretty hopeless.

They seem to have stated their own preferences pretty clearly, from what you've described. As long as there's plenty to eat, and neither has a friend of his or her own species, and they complain when separated, they are evidently bonded pretty thoroughly, and should be all right.
I've heard of keets attacking tiels, but it's usually a mob of keets, and one tiel.

Posts: 3756 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kim & Lilly
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kim & Lilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jody!
Posts: 1426 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
couragee
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for couragee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i mostly agree with one caution, my MALE keets are more agressive than my tiels. So watch your male seasonally. provide multiple dishes and perches and keep the old cage for needed "space". then just enjoy your beautiful babiesl\. they were great pix.
Posts: 594 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wishfull
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wishfull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very young male cockie and an older budgie caged together. They feed each other, they bicker like blazes, if I take one out of the cage, the other gets very upset. Since they have bonded (despite the bickering) I now have no problem getting the 'out' bird back into the cage, as ether species is happy to be returned to its 'partner' and friend. The cage simply needs to be big enough for ether bird to have space to get away from its annoying partener should the need arise. They need enough space in the cage to allow for personal space. Im facing a new situation here caging different species together with these two, so I am very novice, but this is what I am learning. I hope it helps!
Posts: 1320 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori Conarro
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori Conarro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anne, you're other friends have been very worried about you. May be nice to pop over and let them know you are ok.
Posts: 2273 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mercy4Free
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mercy4Free     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like they like being together but the other cage was just too small for the two of them to be together without getting in other's space. Sounds like the big cage was definitely a wise choice and good buy even if it was for a different reason than you thought!

I am thinking about buying a parakeet since I have been told to keep only one of a species if you want them to stay bonded to you. I have a 'tiel.

Posts: 54 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gn18
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gn18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mercy4free,

Please think of adopting 1 before buying. Please, please. There's so many birds in rescues and rescues are not able to take in more birds as there's limited funds, time, $ etc. Please don't let what is happening to the cats and dogs in the article below happen to the birds too. Please read the article below before thinking of getting one. Thank you.

http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001817

Posts: 256 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokka-pooh
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bokka-pooh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still keep them together. But not in the same cage, But th ecages right next to eachother. And with clipped or unclipped wings and allowed out of cage time they can see eachother.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jm47
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jm47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, M4F, please! There are lots and lots of budgies, and tiels, as well, in need of homes, and many are at local animal shelters! The shelter here gets a few every year, and occasionally a bigger bird. They aren't really set up to house them well, and are somewhat too quick to allow them to be adopted, although I'd rather see them in a decent home than living with all those dogs and cats and rabbits and ferrets and whatnot. (Not sharing cages, but I've seen a cat curled up right next to a bird cage, and the personnel seemed to have no idea anything was wrong with that)
A few are surrendered, but most seem to be escapees who couldn't fly as well as they thought they could, and couldn't find their way back home.

TLL, how are these 2 doing?

By the way, I know birds who are kept with others of their species, who are pretty friendly to humans. It depends on what you want of the bird. You can be your bird's only friend, but he or she won't have much of a social life, and that's a pretty severe deprivation for a parrot (or parakeet). You can arrange for him or her to have other birds around, and allow them to make friends if they wish, and they may be better friends with the other bird than with you, but they probably won't reject you altogether, and you will have the fun of watching them interact with each other, and the joy of knowing you've enriched their lives far beyond what they would have just waiting for hours for you to pay attention to them.

Posts: 3756 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos