Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Other Parrot Species » All Other Parrots And Birds » 3 species of wild parrots in Texas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3 species of wild parrots in Texas
jm47
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jm47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aunt L. recently mailed me a full-page story, with color photos, from her local newspaper, about 3 kinds of parrots who have recently established colonies (with nests) in her neighborhood. There are 2 kinds of what look (to me) like Amazons, "Yellow headed" and "red-crowned", and the "green parakeet", and they seem to have moved in from Mexico. She commented some time ago that there were parrots sitting in her backyard, "tormenting" the cats, and I had asked what kinds, so she sent the article.
The article was published June 3, so I'm not sure it would still be available on the website, but I plan to go find out later this pm.
What they are calling a "yellow headed parrot" sure looks like a DYH to me, but then I am not an expert. Now we have an excuse to go visit [laughing]

Posts: 3756 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds cool Jody.Please take pictures.

Jan

Posts: 1155 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RB2sMom
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RB2sMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing some amazons nesting in a tree across from our hotel in Brownsville about 10 years ago. They had a large nest hole and were feeding chicks. There are parrots all around the Brownsville area.
Posts: 394 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jm47
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jm47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Auntie" is in Harlingen, nearby. (Well, in Texas, that's nearby. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 3756 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos