Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » People Forum » Chat About Anything » Baretta's Bird

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baretta's Bird
Nemo22
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemo22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the name of the Too that was on the Baretta TV show?
People are always saying 'Look,he has a Baretta Bird'
But nobody can remember it's name.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie
Admin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, his name is Fred. You can do a Google search and find all kind of stuff about him.
Posts: 4330 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angie
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit of info...Trivia Note: Fred the bird appeared on the detective drama BARETTA/ABC/1975-78. In real life, Fred was actually called Lala (or Lalah). He got his name because he liked to repeat the phrase "La-la-la-la-la." Owned by animal trainer Ray Berwick, Lala was born in Hong Kong and found smuggled into America with a cage of chickens. He originally spoke only Chinese, but Berwick's bird was a quick study and soon learned English and a number of clever tricks like pedaling a bicycle, imitating the sound of a dog and cat, riding a scooter, running on a treadmill and saying "I love you." For the series, Lala had a bird stunt double named Weird Harold used for flying sequences (Harold died from liver illness after the first season) and two other birds called Sweetheart. Lala won a PATSY award in 1976 and again in 1977 and Photoplay magazine awarded him with a Gold Medal for being their favorite animal star. As of the 1980s, Ray Berwick featured Lala in an animal show at the Universal Studio's Tour in southern California and at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Producer's for the program initially wanted to use a Raven or myna bird, but Lala's outgoing personality and large vocabulary got him the part. Now deceased, Lala lived to be about seventy years old.
Posts: 810 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nemo22
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemo22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for all the info,
Sounds like LaLa was quite the bird.
Hearing about Mr.Berwick's success in training LaLa makes me wonder what kinds of things I could teach my Nadia.
I wonder if she could learn to ride a bike?

Posts: 109 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chirpy
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never heard of this barretta show, but i wonder how many birds were bought then dumped because they didnt quite match this 'lala' ? A bit like Lassie, so many rough collies landed up in rescue centres because of this 'heartwarming' series. (not wanting to destroy your post nemo, its just a thought that hit me)
Anne xx

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie
Admin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's true, Anne. 101 Dalmations comes to mind. Thousands of these demanding dogs were abandoned at shelters after this movie. Paulie probably did the same for Conures. Sad, isn't it? Breeders love it!
Posts: 4330 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M2mom
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A similar topic here Chirpy http://www.mytoos.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000181
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos