Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Cockatoo Forums » General Cockatoo Discussion » plucking or molting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: plucking or molting?
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daisy had her wings clipped at her last vet appointment-say 3 weeks ago-3 days ago I found one of those clipped feathers at the bottom of her cage..wondered why-but she seemed fine. the nest day when we were out goofing off she took off to fly and another wing feather fell out, only this one was very small and had not been clipped(seemed like a "new" feather to me) Well today I have found 5 feathers in the cage-2 were clipped ones and the others were smaller and newer looking. I don't see any "chew" marks or damaged feathers on her or the ones she drops-Plucking is my greatest fear-so I will probably freak out a few times at first, sorry, but anyone know what's it about-is she molting for the season change? [Confused]
Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flowerchild
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowerchild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] sounds like a normal moult to me. new feathers growing in push the old ones out. it'll look like a mad pillow fight in and around the cage for a while, but as long as she looks fine and you don't see her plucking, relax.
Posts: 1208 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsuki
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tsuki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience with feather chewing and feather snapping, which has stopped, wing clipping can trigger picking. But before you panic, take a close look at the feathers that have fallen out. If they do not look like they have been broken off, then I would say they fell out naturally. The feathers from the head will do this. Even if the feather that fell out was a clipped one, it may have been time for it to be replaced. Sometimes you can find 5 or 6 feathers like this in a day, but it is not cause for panic. Out of curiousity, what kind of wing clipping did the vet perform?
Posts: 242 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveMy2
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoveMy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like she is starting to molt, too. Especially if the feathers are coming out shaft and all. [Smile]
Posts: 356 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elliott
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elliott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that when a feather is moulted out by nature, it is usually is very good condition. Not chewed, broken, or anything out of the norm. Most plucked feathers look like they are twisted and just in a ratty shape.
Posts: 835 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jm47
Advanced Member

Icon 10 posted      Profile for jm47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see this, because my birds have usually moulted in August, but SunnyBen is starting to lose feathers, and I was also wondering if it was plucking. I was just about to ask, and now the ? is answered.
Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 3756 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony&Tina's Mr.Magoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate projecting animal behavior like human behavior, but the funniest think happened last week. One of Magoo's big umbrella feathers molted off his head. We were watching a big proud display...monkey sounds and all, strutting like Elvis...when all of a sudden one of the bigger head feathers just popped off and floated slowly down. He stopped like he saw a ghost and watched it float down... If it were Hollywood, you would hear it hit the ground with a loud boom and it would be in slow motion. He looked so disturbed. He stopped diplaying, climbed off his perch to the side of the cage and just gave soft squawks towards it. Like he was giving it some final farewells. We were so dumbfounded by his reaction to a feather dropped, we didnt know if we should laugh or cry for him. [Razz]
I looked at the feather and a few more on following days and found they were big healthy feathers. I knew he was molting because unless he was yanking them from his head with his feet, he could not bite them off. It was a funny experiance, but one that educated me about the feathers...AND how important they are to the TOOS.
Feathers are a huge deal to them indeed!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveMy2
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoveMy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Luca molts a feather, especially one that floats to the ground, he gets all upset and screams at it and sometimes throws himself backward on his butt if it's floating towards him as if going to kill him or something. [laughing] What a dork!
Posts: 356 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the feathers are in perfect shape and complete with the shaft ending in a "point" shape-no tearing or raggedness to them-they are coming from his wings. tsuki-I believe she clipped daisy in a way that allows her to fly but not have much ability to fly upwards-only 4 feathers were clipped on each wing-seemed to work great, she still flies all over the house but now looks more like a airplane trying to land, but doing the bunny hop all the way down the runway [Big Grin] best I can describe it. I understand most of daisy needs and stages inlife that she will go through, but the birds I have worked with have either been plucking or fully feathered, so I have never seen the begining stages of this behavior and truly terrified and vigilant in checking this daily..thanks for all the patience and the answers-you guys are the best!!!
Posts: 226 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveMy2
Advanced Member

Just FYI - when Luca's vet does a wing trim, she usually takes the outer 5 primary feathers cutting them right up under the coverts on each side (as long as they aren't blood feathers). This way there aren't any cut edges poking the bird in the side. If she has a really good flier, she might cut the outer 7 primaries in the same fashion. This allows the bird to graciously glide down without dropping like a brick.
Isis
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love my 2 - That's so funny! Isis will freak out at her floaty "underfeathers" also! I actually made it into a game. If you stick your finger near the floating feather, static electricity will make it glide over & stick to your finger. Then I blow it up into the air. She will yell at it until I catch it on my finger again (and so on for a while) or she will snap out and catch it herself and try to put it back - usually in her back or under a wing. It's soooo funny. She freaks out at the little white butterflies outside also in the warmer weather (we're in NJ). It's been 9 years and she still freaks at butterflies. Umbrella up, wings sometimes out, tail feathers spread, and weaves back and forth either barking or doing one of her less earsplitting screams. It's good to know she isn't the only one.
daisyadair - By the way, yes, it definately sounds like your Daisy is molting. Nothing to worry about!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveMy2
Advanced Member

Isis - Thats so funny! Luca will also "get big" and scream or hiss at little flying things like flies and whatnot. He acts like it's him against them and he'd better get them first! He will also tell the crows outside where he thinks they should go. Screams and yells, displays, etc. Usually this freaks the crows out so bad they just fly away (untypical as crows are usually mobbing birds). Sounds like we've got a couple of crazy birds! [laughing]
Isis
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is funny! My husband doesn't feel the same way I do about my birds (got one too many bites - but to defend the birds a bit, he didn't respect the craziness of spring & didn't try to read the birds or avoid a bite ... so not worth getting into so I'll just stop there) anyway he would make fun of her for freaking out at a harmless butterfly. But he hates spiders and if you look at it proportionately ... I say Isis is braver than Tom! (so there!)
Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisyadair
Advanced Member

Icon 4 posted      Profile for daisyadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for all the advice, but I am still not sure. Today we went to the vet(she gained a few ounces [Frown] (father-in-law found out she likes peanuts-dealing with him is much harder than dealing with Daisy) Anyway, I posted earlier that I was finding feathers in her cage-probably wing feathers?they were not frayed or mangled in anyway-so I believed then that it was just molting-the vet told me that even if they pluck the shaft will come out with it cleanly. She pointed out a few bald spots-primarilyy on the inside tops of her wings and a little at the base of one leg. She has a few on her chest-but nothing you can see unless you go through her feathers, I now found a few of her chest feathers(2) and she is continually either scratching with her beak or nibbling (don't know which, if either) at one spot on her chest-I know she may be over preening, but also on either wing one long feather looks very shabby-I am scared for her-what can I do? The vet I went to today was not my normal one, Daisy sees, but I had no other choice. She said she may be plucking-just watch her...that's all she said!!!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos