Real Cockatoo Facts!   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Real Cockatoo Facts! » Cockatoo Forums » General Cockatoo Discussion » Cold weather or hot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold weather or hot?
jassem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jassem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I bought a greater sulfur crested cockatoo and it's about 1 year old and I was just wondering if this kind of cockatoo is compatible with a cool place or does it need a warm or a hot place to live in? Because most of the time when I go to check on my too I see it shaking and having it's feathers fluffed up by the sides of it's beak. And I just wanted to make sure how many drops does it need from the vitamine B medicine being dropped on it's water?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
db
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for db     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to plan on doing a great deal of reading on this board. You need to learn as much as you can about these birds in order to care for them correctly. Housing, diet, safety etc. Cockatoos and all parrots for that matter should be in a warm environment that is draft free and in the shade if outside during the day. You can purchase bird vitamins to add to water or food but must not overdo it. I would question the point of adding Vit B to water - a multivitamin powder such as Nekton would make more sense. If the bird eats well and has a varied healthy diet I would use the vitamins once or twice a week only. db
Posts: 373 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey
Advanced Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy ,Mickey and Harvey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jassem,

Welcome to mytoos' it seems that you are like me, in that we need to learn an awful lot about birds in general. Mytoos is the place to start as many members have a vast knowledge that we can fall back on. Also if you click on the search engine on top and type in just about anything about birds in general including books and it should be very informative. Also what db said is 100% correct and sometimes vitamins can be very bad.

Good luck
Harvey

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Mytoos